Hi all,
As Marty suggested,any "hummer" this late in the season is worthy of
scrutiny. Over the next few months, vagrant species, most often Rufous
Hummingbird, are almost as likely as lingering Ruby-throated. Please keep
that in mind if you have any hummingbird sightings from now on, and post to
the list if you have anything suspicious! Immature and female Rufous are
not as dramatically different from female Ruby-throated as you might
expect, so take a good look at the tail pattern and color of the sides on
any late-season birds.

Jay

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM, John Confer <con...@ithaca.edu> wrote:

> I, too, had a hummer this morning, after a long time with no sighting.
> Oddly, it flew with very direct line from plants with flowers in the front
> lawn to flowers that were out of line of sight in the backyard making me
> wonder if it was the return of a summer resident. Don't know. Interesting.
>
> John Confer
>

> On 10/1/2015 8:27 AM, Marty Schlabach wrote:
>
> I just saw two hummingbirds at our feeder in Interlaken.  We haven’t seen
> a hummer at our feeders since Sept 13.  These both look like female or
> young male ruby throated hummingbirds to me, but then I’ve been wrong
> before!  3 years ago we had a rufous hummingbird visit us for several
> weeks.  I’ve got some poor pictures, which I might post to Cayuga Bird Club
> facebook page.  Perhaps the weather brought in a couple of late migrants.
>

> Marty

> Marty Schlabach                       m...@cornell.edu
>
> 8407 Powell Rd.                         home  607-532-3467
>
> Interlaken, NY 14847               cell        315-521-4315

> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>