Hi Sandy,

My apologies for taking so long to respond.  Unfortunately, I do not have nearly enough free time as I would like - especially during the work week.

I would guess that the 2 most important parts of trying to observe songbird migration would be timing and location.  You need to be out when the birds are moving and you need to be at a place where the birds are moving through.  Sounds simple enough, right?  For me, a third part pertains to my life and work schedule.  That whole "not having enough free time" that I mentioned earlier leaves me very few opportunities to visit my favorite birding spots.  Instead, I quell my birding jones by spending at least a few minutes every day birding in my yard.

My property is located along the eastern part of the north shore of Oneida Lake in Oswego County,  Oneida Lake is 22 miles long, and acts as a 22 mile barrier to birds that are headed south in the Fall.  Birds are reluctant to fly across the lake because there are no safe places to escape predators while they are out over the water,  Instead, they turn right or left and fly around the lake, and in my instance, right over my yard.  My life schedule keeps me awake at sunrise for just about every day of the year, and provides me the opportunities to get out into my yard and bird during the prime early morning hours, when birds are most active.  Whenever the conditions are right for a good migration day, then birding in my yard can become quite spectacular.

In general, any location that contains or creates any type of geographical barrier would be a good place to watch migrant songbirds.  That's what makes places like Derby Hill and Cape May the special places they are.  Understanding how birds adjust to and are affected by weather patterns can also assist you in seeing migratory songbirds.

Mickey Scilingo
Constantia, Oswego County
mickey.scili...@gte.net
315-679-6299