Hi Cayugabirders,

Hope that you’ve been seeing some good birds recently! Late fall is always a
nice time to be out and about—ducks starting to arrive, sparrows moving
through, and the potential for rarities around every corner. I really like
seeing Fox Sparrows and Rusty Blackbirds, so late October and early November
are always delightful in my mind.

If you want to go out and find some of these birds while visiting a place
you’ve never been, why not try Avicaching
(http://ebird.org/content/ebird/avicaching/)? Explore somewhere new, contribute
to science, and also have a chance to win free binoculars.

Since I know everyone wouldn’t mind a free pair of Zeiss bins, what do you have
to lose? The more that you go Avicaching, the higher chance you have of
binocular victory. If you visit 2-3 Avicaches a week between now and the end of
the year, you could have as much as a 1-in-10 chance in the drawing. And the
worst case scenario? You went birding at least once a week through a very
interesting time of the year—amid the throes of late raptor migration, duck
movements, and the influx of winter finches.

On the topic of winter, this year has the potential to be very interesting for
winter irruptive species—there are already signs that Snowy Owls are on the
move (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/snowy1015/), and a report from Quebec
the other day had almost 16,000 redpolls pass by in a single day. They’re
coming. The types of places that exemplify Avicaching locations—woodland,
agricultural fields, and other edges—are often those frequented by these winter
finches. You never know what you’ll find until you look! I know I’ll be out
there.

Best,
Ian

--