I mentioned seeing my first of season ‘big’ crow assemblage at the CBC meeting
last week, of about 100 American Crows doing small wheelies in a large group
swirling over my house (I first thought it was gulls, in fact).

Over the last week, I’ve seen similar numbers streaming over at dusk, probably
from Lansing corn fields to Ithaca/Northeast area.

This morning, I had a bird-a-palooza at 645AM while walking the dog. As I
stepped out, the cawing was loud, continuous, and numerous. Looking up in early
dawn against gray overcast, I estimated 200 AMCRs swirling and attacking about
16 Turkey Vultures (this is unusual, of course).
The TVs were clearly not enjoying this at all, and probably saying “Mellow out,
dudes! What’s up with this?”. But crows were hitting the TVs and small groups
chasing individual TVs around in a giant swirling mass of black wings.
The illusion of a WWII bomber-fighter sky battle came to mind.

I suspect that the crows were roosting in the same trees around Asbury Cemetery
as the TVs have used for several years, and both groups woke up about the same
time, probably when a near-sighted crow with a short temper jumped the first TV
by accident thinking it was one of those ‘other’ raptors it should be
attacking, then the cascade began of more crows joining in and more TVs
freaking out and going from tree to sky only to be attacked themselves. Just my
hypothesis.

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Information/Data Manager; IT Support