The 2015/2016 Montezuma Winter Raptor Survey season will begin November 18th.
Surveys have been conducted annually at Montezuma since 2010, and will be
conducted weekly on Wednesdays, one half hour before sunset to one half hour
after sunset. Surveyors follow an established protocol. We need veteran
surveyors who are able to identify raptors who frequent our area. If you are an
inexperienced surveyor, or even new to birding, you are welcome to attend and
you will be assigned to accompany a veteran surveyor. The more eyes we have at
each site the greater our chance of spotting raptors. Our work generates
important data for use by the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge and Department
of Environmental Conservation in managing habitat. Accurate data collection is
our number one priority. Our work is important, and I assure you that it will
be appreciated.

Approximately 20 sites at the Greater Montezuma Wetland Complex are surveyed.
Species of particular interest are the Short-eared Owl (SEOW), which is
endangered in N.Y. State, and the Northern Harrier (NOHA), which is threatened.
All raptors are counted and their specific activity recorded.The surveys also
provide an opportunity to sharpen ID skills, enjoy watching raptors conduct
their deadly serious efforts in search of food under difficult climate
conditions, and, experience the solitude of Montezuma in the winter. You will
visit parts of Montezuma that are normally closed to the public, and learn more
about what attracts raptors to the complex in the winter season. We meet at the
Refuge Office at the times listed below where you will receive a briefing,
obtain assignments, and pick up materials for the survey. Surveyors will return
to the office after completion of the survey to turn in data and exchange
information about experiences.

The meeting times for November and December are:

Wednesday, Nov. 18, meet at 3:25 pm
Wednesday, Nov. 25, meet at 3:20 pm
Wednesday, Dec. 2, meet at 3:20 pm
Wednesday, Dec. 9, meet at 3:20 pm
Wednesday, Dec. 16, meet at 3:20 pm
Wednesday, Dec. 23, meet at 3:20 pm
Wednesday, Dec. 30, meet at 3:25 pm

The survey season runs through March. The survey dates and times for January,
February, and March will be announced in mid-December. Surveyors must sign up
to attend a survey no later than the evening before the survey date. If you are
interested, please e-mail me, David Marsh,  at dsm...@frontiernet.net , put
“Raptor Survey” in the subject line, and I will add you to the surveyor list.
You will then receive weekly summary reports of the survey results.

David S. Marsh
Canandaigua, New York
dsm...@frontiernet.net
585-396-2170