The Fat Lady Hooted at Kestrel Haven!

We brought in nets on the 30th to end a so-so season and leave us longing for
another 2012!( when we banded well over 200 saw-whets) We banded 50 new birds,
had 3
repeats and, for the very first time, had zero foreigns and none of our birds
visiting other stations. We made a stab at LEOWs without success.

Our 50 breakdown to 1 AHY, 8 ASY, 6 SY and 35 HY, a very normal distribution.
It was
much the same with sex ratio as we had 84% female, 7 Unknowns and 1 definite
male.

We banded from 01 October through 29 November on 39 nights logging 622 net hours
which works out to one bird every 12 net hours.

Our best night was 12 on 22 October. First bird banded was 14 October and last
was
29 November.

Although the season started very slowly with birds being caught to our west,
east
and south, it all came out as pretty normal. It did give us an opportunity to
add to
our knowledge/assumptions of migration dynamics here. We believe "our" birds fly
south directly over Lake Ontario as well as some that skirt the lake's western
edge.
This of course is strongly dependent on wind speed and direction. Those birds
skirting the eastern edge of the lake tend to then follow a path down the
eastern
shore of Cayuga Lake and miss us by a good 40 miles. In previous years owls
banded
here showed a strong tendency to fly south by southwest based on visits to other
stations. This year???? That's what makes it fun as we keep learning.

John and Sue

 To decode our bander lingo. These are all Northern Saw-whet Owls (NSWO). LEOW
is
Long-eared Owl which we tried due to a tremendous fallout of same in Ontario
this
fall. AHY is after hatching year but we can't determine the age closer than
"adult", ASY is a bird at least 3 years old, SY is a second year bird, HY is a
bird
hatched this year . For the most part molt intricacies are such that we can't
age
NSWOs beyond ASY. TY, third year, and ATY (after third year) calls are iffy at
best
as we have huge variations in molt patterns within this species.
--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists