January is only half over and already several people are in the running for
having seen 100 CL Basin birds before the end of the month. Admittedly it’s a
silly game, but then it is a great reason to get outside and enjoy the weather!

One hundred birds in January is not impossible, but it requires finding just
about every bird that normally winters here as well as chasing (or being the
first to find) the so-called “half-hardies” and any unexpected incidentals.
That was the goal of a group of us who drove around the lake yesterday. We were
successful at finding the Killdeer and American Pipits at Myers and the Gray
Catbird (first reported by Jay McGowan) at Portland Point. We were fortunate to
be in the area when the report of Tufted Duck came in (found by Ken Rosenberg’s
Waterfowl Count group) and subsequently found the two Greater White-fronted
Geese just north of Union Springs. We found a trio of Trumpeter Swans at Mud
Lock and later had four more fly over, calling, on Armitage Road.

On the other hand, we did not re-find the Shrike on Carncross Road or the
reported (somewhat questionable as to how long ago) Cranes on Van Dyne Spoor
Road. Likewise, we did not find any Snowy Owls along Seybolt Road or the
usually reliable Lesser Black-backed Gull at Dean’s Cove.

This morning, with a couple of birds to go to get to 100, I stopped by the
Liddell Lab on Freese Road, the location of a Fox Sparrow first reported by Tom
Schulenberg on the Christmas Bird Count. The feeders, which during the week are
kept full, were empty of seed and birds. I walked around a bit and returned to
the feeder area, attracted by some Cardinal calls. There was motion on the
ground under one of the feeders that quickly came into focus as a pair of
White-throated Sparrows and - the Fox Sparrow!

Now the question is - head for Aurora to try for the mythical Eared Grebe or
Long-tailed Duck (the latter reported there yesterday) - or Lake Como and the
McIlroy Preserve for Ruffed Grouse (I had tracks there Friday but couldn’t find
the bird) - or drive around Cayuga County looking for a flock of Horned
Larks/Snow Buntings with a Lapland Longspur thrown in. Really hard to decide. I
think it’s time for a nap!

Bob McGuire