Hey all,
Thought I would chime in briefly about the Fox Sparrow. I agree that it is
darker than the majority of the birds we get passing through the area. I
don't think it is out of the range of variation for Red, although it could
perhaps be indicative of a more western-breeding populations (zaboria).
Either way, good observation by Dave and Gary, certainly worth studying
out-of-season individuals even more carefully than we would normally do.
Here are a few semi-obscured photos of the bird in question:

In a similar vein, Livia and I found what I believe to be an immature
Gambel's White-crowned Sparrow with two leucophrys immatures in a tree
sparrow flock along Park Road in Canoga, Seneca County, yesterday. Photos
here:
This is a rare but regular and undoubtedly overlooked vagrant in the east,
something to keep an eye out for.

Good birding,
Jay

Jay McGowan