For some weeks now, at 4pm every day (within 5 minutes or so), two male
Pileated Woodpeckers arrive and loudly announce their presence from our
neighbor's tree. Sometimes they fly over to the box-elder next to our
house to our suet feeder..

Today Gin and I went for a walk down Dodge Rd and on the way back
encountered the two down near the spruce woods at about 3:45pm. I said,
"let's watch, they will be at our house when we get back there." Sure
enough, at 4:01pm we got to our back yard to loud "Wuk,wuk,....." cries
from next door. One flew back across Ellis Hollow Rd but the other
stayed on the tree. This is a daily ritual by which I can tell the time
within 5 minutes.

Later in March the two will come and chase each other around our yard,
sometimes displaying up and down parallel trees. This has been going on
for many years.
Here is a quote from my email to Cayugabirds-L on March 20, 2008:
"As I worked at my desk at home, a few minutes ago first one and then
another brilliant Pileated woodpecker flew in to a  spruce trunk just
outside my window. One brilliant scarlet crest was fully raised. I think
both were males. Before I could get my camera they began a dance around
the trees and then flew from tree to tree all around the house, west to
north  to east and finally around to the backyard (south) again, before
flying off. All this was at upstairs window height, fully displaying
their awesome shapes as they flew around while we watched. "
Here is another excerpt from March 9, 2013:
"A few minutes ago, as we were having lunch, two gorgeous male Pileated
Woodpeckers flew down just outside our window, one low on the box-elder
the other low on a black locust nearby. I think they were sizing up each
other, in an annual Spring ritual in our yard. In my bird archives I see
that last year they appeared on Feb. 12, and in 2011 on March 20, when
they chased each other repeatedly all around our yard."

It's tempting to believe these are the same two every year, but who
knows .....

Nari & Gin Mistry
Ellis Hollow Rd.