Here's my take:

I think a cut-off date (a one-date-fits-all approach) is pretty hopeless, as it
forces you to postpone all your cutting until quite late, reducing the economic
viability of your business operation.

In my opinion it's much better to do an assessment year-by-year and
field-by-field. Beginning in late May or early June, you study each of the
fields you intend to cut, in order to determine which species are currently
breeding there, and then you schedule the cuttings accordingly. Fields without
any breeding birds can be cut as early as you please. Fields with species that
are under very serious threat in your region can be left entirely untouched.
And for all the cases in between those extremes, you can consult resources like
the NY breeding season tables, and try to balance the economic needs of your
operation against the interests of present species that may indeed suffer
immediate reproductive losses at your hands, but that would have no future in
our region if your activity were so unprofitable that it ceased altogether and
all the fields reverted to forest.

-Geo