FOSPers and Os Friends,

Bad news. Orpheus, the adult male at Salt Point, has an ailing left eye,
and I cannot tell the extent of the problem. He keeps his left outer white
eyelids closed most of the time, although he is able to open the eye fully
on rare occasions. Did anyone see him collide with a tree branch? Did he
grapple talon to talon with an intruding osprey or heron or eagle or
another other accident? Please let me know. Whatever is wrong occurred
today. His tight eye seems fine, although he often shuts it, perhaps for
comfort.

I will observe him for the next few days and consult with the wildlife vets
at CU’s Swanson Ctr. If the eye does not heal soon, the situation could get
critical for Orpheus. Trying to catch and medically treat Orpheus without
hurting him and the others would be a trick.

Fishing with only one eye means Orpheus can no longer judge depth
perception and refraction in the water, two essential skills for successful
fishing. If his eye does not improve and his fishing is substandard,
Ophelia will take over the job of provider for the remainder of the season.
However, it is a serious risk to leave the nestlings unattended and
vulnerable in the nest. Despite their superb camouflage, these little lumps
make easy snacks for passing eagles.

Let’s hope Orpheus is able to fish well in a few days. The alternative is
too sad.

Candace