Like the enrichment activities employed in a zoo, it was fun to watch the
birds' reaction on some nearby fields as they were hayed for the first time in
nearly 30 years. Huge round bales scattered across what were once pastures
along with a pair of red-tailed hawks, two small crow families, and a host of
starlings. The hawks perched singly on bales but took turns as they flew about
from one vantage point to another. The crows, one group of four and one of six,
would follow first one and then the other hawk - choosing to land about three
or four bales away each time. Meanwhile, the starlings would fly up as a group
then land on and around one bale at a time.I sat in my car on the edge of the
road and watched them for 20-30 minutes, and they continued their "dance" as I
drove away. Colleen Richards