A couple of years ago by the Lab of O I saw a Canada Goose repeated land on
the shoulders of a white-tailed deer and peck the back of the neck and
head, driving it away from a nearby nest.  I seem to recall that some of
the Lab staff chose an alternate entrance to the building for a couple of
weeks to avoid this aggressive gander.

-Mike

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Paul Schmitt <pschmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This got me to recalling that last summer I saw a RW Blackbird take
> offense at some Canada Geese there were too close to a nest at MNWR.  The
> male RWB attached the gander's back, taking hold and riding him out of the
> area.  It appeared the blackbird knew just where to be clear of the
> gander's beak.
>
> Paul Schmitt
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Dave K <fishwatch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On the Eastern end of Eaton Marsh this AM, Kingbirds were defending
>> against an Osprey. It's the first time I've seen the Kingbirds red crown
>> which, apparently, they use in this situation.
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/K6Q3AJ
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/K6NNDN
>>
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/105424358@N06/28289055592/>
>>

>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/105424358@N06/28289297622/>
>>

>> ------------------------------

*Almost a Conversation *
*Mary Oliver*
I have not really, not yet, talked with otter
about his life.

He has so many teeth, he has trouble
with vowels.

Wherefore our understanding
is all body expression —

he swims like the sleekest fish,
he dives and exhales and lifts a trail of bubbles.
Little by little he trusts my eyes
and my curious body sitting on the shore.

Sometimes he comes close.
I admire his whiskers
and his dark fur which I would rather die than wear.

He has no words, still what he tells about his life
is clear.
He does not own a computer.
He imagines the river will last forever.

He does not envy the dry house I live in.
He does not wonder who or what it is that I worship.
He wonders, morning after morning, that the river
is so cold and fresh and alive, and still
I don’t jump in.