This morning, it was significantly colder than yesterday morning at the same
time. Fewer birds in general (except for White-throated Sparrows) and fewer
warbler species. A single Blue-winged Warbler was singing incessantly from near
the middle of the Hawthorn Orchard throughout much of my time there.

Highlight was the huge flock of about 62 White-throated Sparrows which are
frequenting the hedgerow near the softball field. I got a fairly accurate count
of that flock as they passed me from the East to the West along the hedgerow.
They were headed to the grassy field beyond the softball field to feed on
dandelion seeds. There was at least one White-crowned Sparrow here as well.

On my way back to the truck, I encountered another three White-crowned Sparrows
– two apparent males and an apparent female. They were just inside the fencing
on the green of the outside tennis courts. The two males were in an apparent
singing and displaying duel – something I’ve never observed before. The two
males took turns singing. As one male sang upright, the other male would crouch
down with back in horizontal and bill down with cap pointed at the singing
male, subtly jerking its head back and forth and gently hopping side to side.
Then, they would switch, with the previously singing male now taking a
horizontal pose with bright black-and-white striped cap facing the now upright
and singing opponent. They repeated this for at least a couple of minutes, each
bird singing one song before getting into the horizontal pose again; this all
happening while the non-vocal, apparent female, was hopping around nearby,
watching from the sidelines. This was almost rapid-fire, like a tennis ball
being hit back-and-forth across the net during a match.

I think we need a few good days of warm weather to bring out the hawthorn
flowers…

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

Hawthorn Orchard
May 10, 2016
06:30
Traveling
1.00 miles
149 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Cold start to the morning. ~ 30°
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.2.0 Build 62

9 Canada Goose
1 Great Blue Heron
2 Killdeer
2 Ring-billed Gull