This morning, 15 souls braved the crisp WNW winds for a morning walk at the
Hawthorn Orchard for the Cayuga Bird Club. Despite the conditions, everyone got
really nice looks at several accommodating individuals.

Also, I was informed today that I had my count off from yesterday’s tally of
participants…there were actually at least 27 people in the CBC walk at the
Hawthorn Orchard. Wow! Again, thanks to Bob Mcguire for being there, as well as
some other experienced spotters who helped get people on birds yesterday!

The species list below includes my initial walk through the Hawthorn Orchard
from 6:30-7:45am, and the main 8:00am to 10:45am walk. Highlights include 10
warbler species seen today, which is fewer than yesterday, with TENNESSEE
WARBLER once again being the most abundant species; several very showy NORTHERN
PARULAS; One very cooperative BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER; several AMERICAN
REDSTARTS, including at least one 1st-year male. Also, Bob and Joan Horn heard
a Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling from just North of the Northeast corner,
independent of the CBC walk.

Hawthorn Orchard
May 15, 2016
06:30
Traveling
1.50 miles
240 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Lead a field trip for the Cayuga Bird Club at the Hawthorn Orchard.
Good turnout of participants (15) and good looks at birds despite the cold and
blustery conditions!
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.2.0 Build 62

2 Canada Goose
1 Double-crested Cormorant
2 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey
2 Ring-billed Gull
1 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
3 Mourning Dove
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Empidonax sp. (“whit” notes heard)
2 Warbling Vireo
2 Red-eyed Vireo
3 Blue Jay
1 American Crow
1 Common Raven
7 Barn Swallow
3 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
2 White-breasted Nuthatch
1 House Wren
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet (probably among the last to pass through the area this
spring)
1 Wood Thrush
6 American Robin
10 Gray Catbird
4 European Starling
1 Cedar Waxwing

1 Blue-winged Warbler (very accommodating!)
20 Tennessee Warbler (everywhere…)
1 Nashville Warbler
3 Common Yellowthroat
3 American Redstart
3 Northern Parula
4 Magnolia Warbler
1 Blackburnian Warbler (female)
4 Yellow Warbler
1 Black-throated Blue Warbler

2 Song Sparrow
5 Northern Cardinal
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
4 Red-winged Blackbird
6 Common Grackle
2 Brown-headed Cowbird
4 Baltimore Oriole
2 House Finch
1 Purple Finch
4 American Goldfinch
8 House Sparrow

Number of Taxa: 48

Thanks again to all who participated and good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes