Recently we have been seeing something we’ve never had occur at our feeders
before.  A Downy Woodpecker has become a regular visitor to our hummingbird
feeders!  Our H-bird feeders are of the ‘flat’ square variety attaching to
window, and a round variety—but flat surface—hanging from a porch.  Anyway, we
were surprised to see a woodpecker (tending to usually be a female) actively
feeding from the feeder.  At first I thought the Downy might be getting
insects, but then I could see the liquid moving—and realized it was actually
sipping the nectar!!  We do have a ‘dripping’ bird bath water supply, but I
guess it is just not enough for the Downy.  Has anyone else been having this
occur at their h-bird feeders during this dry summer?
--

Sara Jane Hymes