I was very lucky last evening to catch a Great Horned Owl call from a westerly direction while about to enter my house on Wood Road at about 10:30 pm (12/10/2016). I put my musical equipment away and noticed that the moon was very bright on the freshly fallen snow. I went out to enjoy this seasonal beauty and heard some more owl calls. My partner and I then relaxed with some Netflix for an hour or so and afterward I decided to go out and listen for some more owl calls. I was more than rewarded by not only hearing more owl vocalizations from nearby, but also with seeing two separate dark, silent figures fly over the house, backlit by the moon -- and more than that! -- the further thrill of hearing a seemingly convergent group of owls coming closer and singing in seeming harmony, closing in from the south and west.

I'm sorry if this is something I should have researched on my own, but do owls hunt in family groups? I had never before been in the right place at the right time to have heard so many owl vocalizations in such close proximity! I feel very fortunate!!