The new version of Merlin is fantastic. Not only will it identify photos of birds taken with your phone, you can take a photo from the LCD screen of your Digital camera. It should work with digiscoping as well. I gave it a workout on the recent CBC field trip to Niagara Falls and it was near 100% correct on identification. At worst it gave you the correct bird on the second or third choice. It even identified Charley Harper birds. We even went so far as to take selfies to see what bird Merlin identified us as, great fun. No I won't say which bird Merlin identified my selfie as. I can say that the Merlin team has brought this app a long way and it will be a great addition to both beginners and advanced birders. Good work Team Merlin.
Carl Steckler