I went to Seneca Falls today, as did a number of other birders, looking for
Snowy Owls and hoping for Gyrfalcon. So far as I know, no one has refound the
Gyrfalcon seen on Thursday.

I managed to find only one Snowy Owl today. It was a sparsely-marked individual
with deep blackish markings and plenty of bars in the tail. Adult female? It
was perched on the highest possible perch to oversee the area, on the top of a
grain elevator complex west of Rt 414, near the windmill, west of Lott Farm
fairgrounds and well west of the airport.

I heard that a Snowy was seen east of the Finger Lakes Regional Airport runways
at some point, but I didn't see it. Best birds I had during several loops
around the airport were a male Northern Harrier on Thorpe Road, and at least
one Lapland Longspur in a Horned Lark flock I was told about on Hoster Rd south
of Stahl Rd in a manure spread.

There was open water along the southern end of Lower Lake Road SE of Seneca
Falls on Cayuga Lake, and there were lots of swan there. Most were Tundra
Swans, of course, but I was quite surprised to see a pair of BLACK SWANS
swimming off the ice edge at the far southern end of the road. They're kind of
unmistakable, being huge waterbirds with long, gracefully curving necks, red
bills, and all black body plumage. But, seeing as how they are native to
Australia, there is zero chance they were wild vagrants. They're popular in
captivity, and I don't know of any established feral populations around. I
looked for, but did not see, their white wingtips (all swans have white
wingtips; the only non-domestic waterfowl that do, with one half of an
exception), so I can't say if they were free-flying or wing-clipped. Totally
cool, though. Their presence, along with the couple of thousand Tundra Swans
made me want to find Mute and Trumpeter swans too to get my very first 4-swan
day. I wasn't doing a great job of parsing the waterfowl, but fortunately I
talked to my son, Jay, and his birding group, and they had in fact seen some
Mute Swans and a single wing-tagged Trumpeter along the road. With their tip, I
found a pair of Mutes and the wing-tagged juvenile Trumpeter to complete my
four swan day. I don't know when to ever expect that to happen again!

Just for the record, I do keep track of the free-flying exotic birds I see
(including in the Basin, Bar-headed Goose, Egyptian Goose, Red-crested Pochard,
and Eurasian Goldfinch). Fortunately, so does eBird! I won't count Black Swan
on my year Basin list, but I do want to know when and where I saw it. Some of
these exotics actually get established and become "countable" birds. I like to
know where I first saw things like Monk Parakeet (Yellow Springs, Ohio) and
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Marathon Key, Florida).

Happy birding new year.

Kevin

Kevin McGowan

Ithaca