Diane, Ken, and I took part in the Montezuma waterfowl count this morning. Our
territory was Knox-Marsellus and Puddlers Marsh. Both areas were entirely
ice-free and harbored a large number of birds. Several thousand Snow Geese took
off from K-M as we arrived and flew north into the Mucklands. What remained was
a good selection: Mallards and Black Ducks, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal
and Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, American Wigeon and a single EURASIAN WIGEON.
Also a dozen Tundra Swans, two Hooded Mergansers and a single Wood Duck.

None of the counters reported Sandhill Cranes. One of them had a single Common
Loon at Kip’s Marsh.

On the way home we noted hundreds (if not thousands) of Tundra Swans in the
water north of the RR tracks - and a huge flock of diving ducks at the north
end of the lake, out from Harris Park in the Village of Cayuga.

Bob McGuire