I didn't see John's reported Red-shafted Flicker, and therefore cannot comment
definitively, but to my knowledge, there are no confirmed occurrences of the
Red-shafted form of Northern Flicker in New York, or of actual hybrids of
Red-shafted X Yellow-shafted birds or "intergrades."

But, there are plenty of flickers with red in their flight feathers. They have
nothing to do with the western form of flicker. Instead, they're an
increasingly common result of the environmentally-caused changes in birds
resulting from the spread of exotic honeysuckles. It's the same phenomenon that
creates orange tail tips in Cedar Waxwings.

See the recently published article, based in part on specimens in the Cornell
University Museum of Vertebrates that I helped prepare over the last 30 years:

 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1642/AUK-16-63.1
Hudon, et al. 2017
Diet explains red flight feathers in Yellow-shafted Flickers in eastern North
America

IMHO, it's more interesting than a wayward migrant out of range!

Best,

Kevin