Yesterday morning and early evening, around our house and neighborhood east
of Collegetown, I kept hearing a totally unfamiliar bird song. It was 3 to
7 or 8 repeated, loud, clear whistles, all on the same note (E of the E
string on a violin). Very easy to imitate, so I whistled it a few times,
hoping to draw the bird closer, but only chickadees came near. Just once, I
saw the bird zoom from the top of a tree to somewhere behind our house, but
couldn't see what it looked like, except that it was about the size of a
sparrow. It was back-lit, so it was impossible to see what color it was.
Do tufted titmice ever sing such a tune?  It was even clearer than their
usual song, and entirely on one note. (Not much of a composer!)
Betsy