I led a trip this morning to the Park Preserve; about 15 people took part. Although a few drops of rain fell as I was driving to the meeting point, the threatened precipitation failed to materialize, so we enjoyed our birding dry in cool mid-50s temperatures.

We started at the South entrance. Although we heard quite a few birds, this trip was remarkable in that we saw very few of of them. We heard Prairie Warbler, Eastern Towhee, several Black-throated Green Warblers, a probable Chestnut-sided Warbler, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Louisiana Waterthrush, Flicker, and Carolina Wren. We did get to see Hermit Thrush, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a possible Sharp-shinned Hawk (although it looked much too large, it had all the right characteristics otherwise.) Kathy arrived a little later and as she was catching up with us, flushed a Ruffed Grouse.

Of course, the more common usual suspects were there too: Chickadees, Goldfinch, Dark-eyed Junco, Song Sparrow, Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, Canada Goose, Crow, Grackle, and Red-winged Blackbird.

We then went to the entrance further North, where the boardwalk is. We immediately got treated to a few nice sparrows: Song, Field, Chipping, and Swamp. A Green Heron flew over; there were Tree and Barn Swallows, a Phoebe, and a couple of male Common Mergansers in one of the distant ponds. A Broad-winged Hawk and a Turkey Vulture flew over too.

Finally we used up our final half hour by going back to Sapsucker Woods so that we could see the White-crowned Sparrows in the feeder garden.

--
Paul Anderson, VP of Engineering, GrammaTech, Inc.
531 Esty St., Ithaca, NY 14850