> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Peter <psara...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the warblers have been over at
> Hawthorn Orchard. I've read in the Basin Birding Book that it's a good spot
> for them. Has anyone birded it yet this year?
>
> And how would that location compare with Shindagin Hollow?

The Hawthorn Orchard is a migrant trap, so bird density is subject to migrant
movement (which is subject to wind and weather patterns, etc.). On the good
days it's downright magical, but otherwise it can sometimes be quiet. This is
the time of year for it, and I'm sure people are birding it every day; the
relative dearth of reports suggests to me that there hasn't been any "magical"
days yet, though already there has been golden-winged and orange-crowned found;
and a lackluster day there could still be considered good by other standards.

And it's also very muddy this year, I hear.

Shindagin and other surrounding forests are good for breeding birds. Being
larger tracts of taller trees, the density of migrants tend to be lower, and
they also tend to stay higher in the trees.

Suan