On yesterday's walk around Sapsucker Woods with SFO, we heard the trill of what
turned out to be a Pine Warbler singing near the south end of the Woodleton
Boardwalk. I had expected Dark-eyed Junco because I had scoped one nearby on a
walk earlier this year, and two of the largest White Pines in the area were cut
down recently. There is one large mature White Pine near where we first heard
the bird, and where two of us finally saw it, but other pines are a bit
scattered, and therefore not what I would have guessed was good habitat. Maybe
this bird is a holdover from when there were more large pines closer together,
but certainly I'm a worse judge of Pine Warbler habitat than the bird is.
Regardless, I should have noticed the clue that the bird was moving frequently
between songs, which is typical of Pine Warbler, and which I have not noticed
among juncos.
--Dave Nutter