I found some interesting birds along Rockwell Road near the
Newfield/Enfield town line late on Saturday morning.

* An adult BROAD-WINGED HAWK circling over the corner of Rockwell and Hines
Roads upon my arrival at 10:15.

* At least two, probably three, male HOODED WARBLERS in the Bock-Harvey
Forest Preserve, singing often but seemingly not as loud as they did a
month ago.  I got nice views of one of these birds.  I think I also saw a
fourth Hooded Warbler flying to the ground under short dense undergrowth,
maybe to a nest.

* Two OVENBIRD families with recent fledglings in Bock-Harvey, plus several
more males singing on territories.  One short-tailed fledgling flew across
the trail near Porter Hill Road, froze in place when I refound it, and
eventually just sat down on the ground, hidden behind several layers of
vegetation but still awash in sunlight.  It was probably the first, and
certainly the best view I’ve ever had of an Ovenbird at this stage of life,
looking arguably more like a Veery in unstreaked tawny plumage with no head
stripes or eye ring.  One parent kept watch close by, but stopped chipping
right before the baby stopped moving.

My eBird checklist with photos of this Ovenbird is here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37772108.

* A male PINE WARBLER continually singing a very fast trill at the corner
of Rockwell and Hines at 12:40.  I almost missed this bird because it’s
been so long since I’ve heard a Pine Warbler singing so fast.  But
something about the sound made me stop and look, notice the pines here, and
eventually confirm the bird’s identity by sight.  Only as I drove away
toward Route 327 did the song resolve into something slower and more
typical, but I wonder whether that actually could have been because of the
Doppler effect.

* A BROWN THRASHER, bill full of food, pausing on a low branch of a
roadside pine right in front of the Pine Warbler.  I feel certain that this
is the first time I’ve ever found these two species simultaneously in
neighboring trees.

* And to add to the unlikely juxtaposition, a CAROLINA WREN was churring at
this corner too.

Mark Chao