5373 Fitzgerald Rd
Burdett, NY 14818
42.443508000, -76.758202000

On 2017-08-16 17:25, John Confer wrote:

> The DEC periodically updates management plans for each forest unit. I don't
> know the details of Connecticut Hill, but I did become involved with the
> Hammond Hill plans. I met with DEC personnel to suggest some alterations in
> their plans for successional habitat. On balance I strongly support them. The
> intention is to create habitat that supports a greater diversity of wildlife.
> In particular, for Hammond Hill State Forest there is a conscious attempt to
> create more early succession habitat by forest cutting. The background is
> that in New York most forest species are increasing while most successional
> species are declining. Even so called forest species frequently use or even
> require successional habitat for part of the annual diet. Bear fatten on
> berries, turkey feed their poults on seeds of successional plants, tanagers
> feed on berries, and deer browse on small woody stems as an important and
> perhaps critical winter food. etc. Of course, early successional habitat
> support!
 s a
variety of early successional species, but it also provides forage for deer and
many other forest species for parts of their annual life. I offer these
thoughts after 35 years of research on successional species. I wouldn't throw
out the baby with the bath water on this effort.

> John Confer
>
> FROM: bounce-121728155-25065...@list.cornell.edu
> [mailto:bounce-121728155-25065...@list.cornell.edu] ON BEHALF OF Dave Gislason
> SENT: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:11 PM
> TO: Martha Fischer <m...@cornell.edu>; CAYUGABIRDS-L
> <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
> SUBJECT: Re: [cayugabirds-l] FW: New post published Meeting on Connecticut
> Hill Wildlife Management Plan
>
> They're just telling us about this now, but they've been working at it for a
> couple of years at least. Living close by, I've seen 3 areas turned into YFIs
> (one a camping area), and 3 areas of clear-cutting. There other areas with
> the telltale Blue paint marks indicating "treatments" to come. I would say
> that communication with the public has been quite poor so far. Only recently
> did they construct a couple of message boards with a flyer on the Young
> forest Initiatives -after they had cut down many trees. Maybe they've been
> barraged with questions and/or complaints.
>
> On Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 9:03:46 AM EDT, Martha Fischer
> <m...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> Here's an FYI...
>
> There's a new post at TownOfEnfield.org. Meeting on Connecticut Hill Wildlife
> Management Plan
> Meeting on Connecticut Hill Wildlife Management Plan
> Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
> Newfield Fire Dept., 77 Main St. Newfield, NY
> NYSDEC will host an open house to provide information on a recently finalized
> habitat management plan for Connecticut hill Wildlife Management Area located
> in the Towns of Catherine, Cayuta and Hector, ...
> You may view the latest post at
> http://townofenfield.org/meeting-on-connecticut-hill-wildlife-management-plan/
>  [1]
> You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates
> are posted.
>
> Thank you.
> Town of Enfield

> Welcome and Basics [2]
>
> Rules and Information [3]
>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [4]
>
> ARCHIVES:
>
> The Mail Archive [5]
>
> Surfbirds [6]
>
> BirdingOnThe.Net [7]
>
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [8]!

> Welcome and Basics [2]
>
> Rules and Information [3]
>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [4]
>
> ARCHIVES:
>
> The Mail Archive [5]
>
> Surfbirds [6]
>
> BirdingOnThe.Net [7]
>
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [8]!

> Welcome and Basics [2]
> Rules and Information [3]
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [4]
> ARCHIVES:
> The Mail Archive [5]
> Surfbirds [6]
> BirdingOnThe.Net [7]
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [8]!
> --

Links:
------
[1]