On this Saturday morning, 26 Aug, I'll be leading a shorebirding field trip at
Montezuma NWR, leaving at 7am from the Visitor Center on NYS-5/US-20, and at
7:15am from the overlook on East Road to walk onto the dikes around
Knox-Marsellus and possibly Puddler impoundments. We'll be out walking and
standing in whatever weather for a few hours, so be prepared in terms of
clothing, water, & snacks. Bring binoculars. If you have a spotting scope,
please also bring that and be willing to share views with folks who do not have
scopes, which is the only and minimal price of admission to an otherwise
off-limits area. Folks familiar with the shorebirds which frequent this area
and are willing to help find and help teach about them are welcome, as are
folks who want to learn. This evening Dave Wheeler reported a Red Knot at K-M,
which has also harbored both Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes in the past few
days. This is migration, so anything may (or may not) show up. See you there!