Big Painted Lady irruption this year, was detected early elsewhere, and now
coming through our neck of the woods. The species has an almost worldwide
distribution, and is famous for their migrations, but they're irruptive and
irregular (another way of saying we don't fully understand when and why it
happens, I think).

Haven't noticed any American Painted Ladies among this lot; they're harder to
tell apart from above, easier from below (four small eyes instead of two big
eyes). I'm using this opportunity to get familiar with the few upperside
patterns that distinguish them from American.

FMI:
http://www.e-butterfly.org/help-us-record-painted-lady-butterflies-move/#more-1089

Suan
http://suan-yong.com