On Friday evening a friend called me saying friends of hers had a Red-tailed
Hawk with an injured wing under their porch in downtown Ithaca. I asked
CayugaBirds-L if someone was willing to help them. Candace Cornell quickly
volunteered. I gave her the contact info, and she and her husband were
immediately on their way.

Several other people also quickly gave this useful advice for dealing with such
a large injured bird:
1) protect your eyes and hands (talons are raptors’ threat, although the
stabbing bill of birds like loons, herons, or the chomping bill of a Cardinal
can hurt you)
2) toss a large towel or blanket over the bird
3) put the blanketed bird in a cardboard box either by quickly scooping it up
or by putting the box over it and flipping them over together, then cover/close
the box (not airtight of course)
4) take it to the Cornell University Vet School’s Swanson Wildlife Clinic. It’s
on Hungerford Hill Rd on the east/uphill side near the end at Snyder Hill Rd.
They can be reached at 607-253-3060 or there is an emergency button to push
there. They have a vet on call 24/7. The service is free.

Candace reported that the finders misidentified the large injured bird at night
under their porch, which is not surprising. What is surprising is that it was a
female Ring-necked Pheasant, which I have never seen in downtown Ithaca.
Candace suspected it had been struck by a car. I wonder if it also had ridden
clinging to the grille to the downtown location. She did not know whether the
wildlife vets would try to save a pheasant, a non-native species which is
raised to be shot. Two pieces of good news, though: No hawk got hurt, and
Candace was happy to rescue the bird regardless of species.

- - Dave Nutter

Sent from my iPad