From: Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@mac.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] About that injured hawk
To: CayugaBirds-L b <cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu>

On Friday evening a friend called me saying friends of hers had a
Red-tailed Hawk with an injured wing under their porch in downtown Ithaca.
I asked CayugaBirds-L if someone was willing to help them. Candace Cornell
quickly volunteered. I gave her the contact info, and she and her husband
were immediately on their way.

Several other people also quickly gave this useful advice for dealing with
such a large injured bird:
1) protect your eyes and hands (talons are raptors’ threat, although the
stabbing bill of birds like loons, herons, or the chomping bill of a
Cardinal can hurt you)
2) toss a large towel or blanket over the bird
3) put the blanketed bird in a cardboard box either by quickly scooping it
up or by putting the box over it and flipping them over together, then
cover/close the box (not airtight of course)
4) take it to the Cornell University Vet School’s Swanson Wildlife Clinic.
It’s on Hungerford Hill Rd on the east/uphill side near the end at Snyder
Hill Rd. They can be reached at 607-253-3060 or there is an emergency
button to push there. They have a vet on call 24/7. The service is free.

Candace reported that the finders misidentified the large injured bird at
night under their porch, which is not surprising. What is surprising is
that it was a female Ring-necked Pheasant, which I have never seen in
downtown Ithaca. Candace suspected it had been struck by a car. I wonder if
it also had ridden clinging to the grille to the downtown location. She did
not know whether the wildlife vets would try to save a pheasant, a
non-native species which is raised to be shot. Two pieces of good news,
though: No hawk got hurt, and Candace was happy to rescue the bird
regardless of species.

- - Dave Nutter

Sent from my iPad