On Sunday morning, I went looking for birds in Sapsucker Woods, mostly with a
group led by Becky Hansen. We all had very fine views of a young
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON by the Owens Platform -- a rare species for the
sanctuary. Apparently this bird has been present around both the main pond
and the Fuller Wetlands since Thursday.

Other highlights:

* two HERMIT THRUSHES together along the Wilson/Severinghaus overlap in the
woods
* five EASTERN BLUEBIRDS together around the knoll and power lines by the
second staff parking lot
* many GOLDEN-CROWNED and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, giving good views
especially by the arbor south of the feeder garden
* a BLUE-HEADED VIREO along the East Trail (one along the Hoyt-Pileated
Trail yesterday too)

Mark Chao