The species below were reported for the Ithaca “Christmas” Bird Count on 1 Jan
2018. For ease in tallying the number of species they are in groups of five
species at a time here.
* new high count
** new to the Ithaca CBC
Species found by a single party in a single place are so credited. I’m still
working on this, so please correct me where info is wrong and inform me where
info is missing.

12 Snow Goose
1 Cackling Goose (Ken Rosenberg, East Shore Park, Ithaca)
5784 Canada Goose
* 7 Mute Swan (Jessie Barry & Chris Wood, Stewart Park, Ithaca)
12 Tundra Swan

7 Gadwall
2 American Wigeon
18 American Black Duck
635 Mallard
3 Northern Pintail (Kevin McGowan, Ladoga, Lansing)

2 Green-winged Teal (Kevin McGowan, Ladoga, Lansing)
57 Canvasback
* 16,401 Redhead
* 250 Ring-necked Duck
** 1 Tufted Duck (Stuart Krasnoff, SW Cayuga Lake, Ithaca)

9 Greater Scaup (may be revised: Jessie Barry & Chris Wood saw 30 at Stewart
Park, Ithaca)
* 501 Lesser Scaup
1 Surf Scoter (by Kevin McGowan & Stephanie Herrick, East Shore Park, Ithaca)
* 7 White-winged Scoter
* 47 Long-tailed Duck

5 Bufflehead
* 204 Common Goldeneye
2 Hooded Merganser (by Stuart Krasnoff, SW Cayuga Lake, Ithaca)
* 216 Common Merganser
*21 Red-breasted Merganser

2 Ruddy Duck (may be revised: Ann Mitchell saw 4, SW Cayuga Lake, Ithaca)
1 Ruffed Grouse (by John Fitzpatrick along Cascadilla Cr, Caroline/Dryden)
65 Wild Turkey
1 Red-throated Loon (Ken Rosenberg & Paul Rodewald, Stewart Park, Ithaca)
1 Common Loon (by whom where in area 7 on west side of lake?)

4 Horned Grebe
1 Double-crested Cormorant (Ken Rosenberg & Paul Rodewald, Stewart Park, Ithaca)
2 Great Blue Heron
** 3 Black Vulture (Anne Clark at roost north of Dryden Rd west of Forest Home
Dr, Varna, Dryden)
26 Turkey Vulture

3 Northern Harrier
6 Sharp-shinned Hawk
18 Cooper’s Hawk
* 14 Bald Eagle
114 Red-tailed Hawk

1 Rough-legged Hawk (Bill Evans, Sandbank Rd, Ithaca)
216 Ring-billed Gull
1006 Herring Gull
2 Iceland Gull (Ken Rosenberg & Paul Rodewald, Stewart Park, Ithaca)
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (Ken Rosenberg & Paul Rodewald, Allan Treman State
Park, Ithaca)

140 Great Black-backed Gull
737 Rock Pigeon
723 Mourning Dove
30 Eastern Screech-Owl
6 Great Horned Owl

1 Barred Owl (John Fitzpatrick along Cascadilla Cr, Caroline/Dryden)
1 Northern Saw-whet Owl (Ann Mitchell, Caswell Rd, Dryden)
1 Belted Kingfisher (Marie Read near Mt Pleasant, Dryden)
1 Red-headed Woodpecker (Tom Schulenberg in Palmer Woods, Cayuga Hts, Cornell
U, Ithaca)
219 Red-bellied Woodpecker

5 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
357 Downy Woodpecker
162 Hairy Woodpecker
12 Northern Flicker
28 Pileated Woodpecker

2 American Kestrel
2 Peregrine Falcon
1032 Blue Jay
1686 American Crow
2 Fish Crow (Paul Rodewald near NYS-13 & Third Street, Ithaca; may be revised:
Kevin McGowan reported 3 on Washington Street, Ithaca)

22 Common Raven
91 Horned Lark
1516 Black-capped Chickadee
312 Tufted Titmouse
10 Red-breasted Nuthatch

272 White-breasted Nuthatch
19 Brown Creeper
2 Winter Wren
34 Carolina Wren
32 Golden-crowned Kinglet

74 Eastern Bluebird
1 Hermit Thrush (Larry Hymes, East Ithaca Recreationway, Ithaca)
14 American Robin
14 Northern Mockingbird
2345 European Starling

68 Cedar Waxwing
882 Snow Bunting
3 Yellow-rumped Warbler
345 American Tree Sparrow
* 1514 Dark-eyed Junco

* 9 White-crowned Sparrow
213 White-throated Sparrow
1 Savannah Sparrow (Kevin McGowan, Blackchin Dr, Lansing)
67 Song Sparrow
7 Swamp Sparrow

1 Eastern Towhee (Steve Kress, Snyder Hill Rd, Caroline)
402 Northern Cardinal
12 Red-winged Blackbird (Sarah Wagner, Sapsucker Woods, Lansing/Dryden/Ithaca)
2 Rusty Blackbird (Tracy McLellan, Lansing Center Trail, Lansing)
3 Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch (number not final at tally)
22 Purple Finch
** European Goldfinch (Bob McGuire, Whitted Rd, Dryden)
459 American Goldfinch
449 House Sparrow

100 species found on count day.

2 more species found during start of count week (Dec 29, 30, & 31):
Pied-billed Grebe
Common Grackle

Species missed on the count, but found previous years and seem plausible.
Please especially report these species if they are found in the count circle
during the rest of Count Week (Jan 2, 3, or 4):
Greater White-fronted Goose (6 were at Stewart Park on 24 Dec)
Ross’s Goose (5 were at Stewart Park on 24 Dec)
Brant
Wood Duck
Northern Shoveler
Black Scoter
Ring-necked Pheasant (not near Game Farm with plastic nasal clip)
Red-necked Grebe
Golden Eagle
Northern Goshawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Killdeer
Bonaparte’s Gull
Glaucous Gull (1 was on red lighthouse breakwater on 24 Dec)
Snowy Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Merlin
Northern Shrike (1 was on Irish Settlement Rd on 26 Dec)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Gray Catbird
American Pipit (but found by Kevin McGowan just outside count circle at
Myers/Salt Point, Lansing)
Lapland Longspur
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin

That’s my notes from the tally last night plus a bit of eBird research. I’ll
try to get the 2018 Basin list up soon. Have fun birding in 2018!
- - Dave Nutter

- - Dave Nutter