Last time I wrote on early territorial calling behavior, several people
wrote and "definitively" asserted that this breeding behavior is day
light-dependent.  ...but if it is "definitively" dependent on the amount of
light in a day, then why would the woodcock be showing up a week or so
earlier?Could there be a gene that tells a woodcock to migrate when the fat
reserves are high enough?  and if these woodcocks are from a coastal
location, as suggested by Pete, then it seems to me that the coastal
woodcocks are responding to temperature, or is this a random group of
woodcocks who have enough fat reserves and are willing to be hungry in
order to get the best breeding spot, so.... maybe it's worth it? And are
they eating if they show up in a snow storm?  Very interesting to ponder!

*---**Climate Change Action: 10 or 30-day Ithaca Whole Foods Plant-Based
(Vegan) Challenge (prepare for Earth Day 2018).  **Education, support,
potluck social gatherings: **www.facebook.com/groups/IthacaVeganChallenge/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/IthacaVeganChallenge/>*
Instagram* #veganplanet2020*

Being non-vegan is taking a side.
It is taking the side of the oppressor.
It is not a neutral position.
It is a pro-actively violent position.

Switch sides.  Go vegan.

Christopher Sebastian McJetters

*---**Sandy Wold, **sustainability/nutrition lecturer **and concerned
citizen *
*for climate change, free speech, and democracy *
B.S. Chemistry/Biochemistry, University of Florida
M.S. Science Education​, University of CA, Santa Cruz and SUNY Cortland
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sandy-wold-877114a7/

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/sandy-wold-877114a7/>