Hi all,

 Ton and I drove north from Dryden to Montezuma NWR today to see what was
around. We started at home on Hunt Hill Rd and our first stop after that was
Sapsucker Woods. There we found one WOODDUCK, one PIED BILLED GREBE, one SWAMP
SPARROW and several BLUE BIRDS among the regulars (redwinged BB, mallard,
grackle, song sparrow, robin, starling, Canada goose, crow, goldfinch, red
tailed hawk).   From there we birded around Stewart Park, which had quite a
nice variety of birds. We saw RING-BILLED and HERRING GULLS, 1 DOUBLE CRESTED
CORMORANT, 1 HOODED MERGANSER, many COMMON MERGANSERS, many BUFFLEHEAD, around
25 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 10 RUDDY DUCKS, GREATER SCAUP, 3 SHOVELERS and 8
GREEN-WINGED TEAL.  From there we headed up rte 34 to Myers Point and Ladoga,
both of which were pretty empty with the strong south wind pushing against the
shore.  Along the way we saw TURKEY VULTURES and CAROLINA WREN among other
resident birds.

We drove into Long Point State Park where we were happy to hear our first
PHOEBE of the year calling.  Further along the shore, after leaving the park,
we came upon a couple of WIGEON.  As we entered the town of Aurora, we enjoyed
seeing the BALD EAGLE sitting on his/her nest.  From the Aurora boathouse we
found 3 HORNED GREBES, one in breeding plumage, 2 COMMON LOONS, also in
breeding plumage, about 40 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, both male and female with
the males doing their neat head dipping display, one SNOW GOOSE and a huge
group of 30+ BUFFLEHEAD close to shore.  Also, our first TREE SWALLOWS of the
day.

Factory Pond in Union Springs had BUFFLEHEAD, GREEN-WINGED TEAL and RING-NECKED
DUCK while the county office area further along the shore had one GREAT
BLACK-BACKED GULL, our only one of the day. As we left Union Springs we came
across our first OSPREY of the day.

Finally we entered Montezuma NWR. The water near the visitor center had many
SHOVELER, MALLARDS, GREEN-WINGED TEAL (couldn’t find the Eurasian teal), some
PINTAL and a pair of BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  Lots of Tree Swallows flying over as
well.  The first part of the wildlife drive was pretty sparse but once we
reached the open water, we saw many, many CANVASBACK (mostly along the far
side, of course), a good number of REDHEADs, RING-NECKED DUCKS, GREATER SCAUP,
one BLUE-WINGED TEAL, about a dozen GADWALL, our first COOTS of the day and
many, many GREEN-WINGED TEAL.  Further along the wildlife drive, past Benning
Marsh and mostly in the new ponds were many, many GADWALL. This seems to be
where they hang out rather than in the main pond.  We finally started seeing
GREAT BLUE HERONS as well.  One HARRIER and a KILLDEER before we left the drive
and headed to Tschache Pool.

Tschache Pool was simply amazing.  From the tower we could see wall to wall
ducks.  WIGEON, GADWALL, RING-NECKED, SHOVELER, more GREEN-WINGED TEAL than
I’ve ever seen in one place before, PINTAIL, SCAUP, MALLARDS and many
GREAT-BLUE HERONS. We counted 6 BALD EAGLES, many perched on the ground among
the grassy hillocks in the swamp.

Between Tschache and the turn off for East Road, we saw 4 more OSPREY.  From
East Road, we scoped Knox Marcellus Marsh.  There was a large group of SNOW
GEESE in the fields east of the marsh and many SHOVELER, TEAL, and other ducks
in the marsh itself. We actually didn’t spend a lot of time looking.  We did
find two sleeping TRUMPETER SWANS, which raised their heads just long enough
for us to identify them.

We then headed toward Carncross Road, hoping to find Sandhill Cranes but we
didn’t have to go that far, as it turned out.  In a field on the northwest side
of Van Dyne Spoor Rd were three SANDHILL CRANES, feeding quietly as people in
passing cars stopped to look.  Carncross was pretty empty (one more TRUMPETER
SWAN).

All in all a good day. 62 species – Happy Spring!

Laura Stenzler
l...@cornell.edu