On April 8th 3 excellent birders joined me to bird Dryden Lake. The weather
started out calm and cold, changing to blustery and snowy.  On the lake we
saw American Wigeon, Mallards, Black Ducks, about 30 Ring-necked Ducks,
Gadwall, Hooded Mergansers displaying, Common Mergansers, one Red-breasted
Merganser, Pied-billed and one Horned Grebe, many Double-crested Cormorants
and a number of Great Blue Herons. As we walked the trail we saw a number
of Golden-crowned Kinglets and two Eastern Phoebes who didn't look happy to
be there! I pointed out the Bald Eagle's nest with an occupant. The other
Eagle was sitting in a tree eating a fish. There were also two Osprey
flying about. Towards the end of the path we counted at least three Swamp
Sparrows and had a great look at one perched on a stalk. In total we saw
thirty-two species which wasn't bad for a snowy, cold day.

On the way back to our cars, we ran into an SFO trip and shared the
location of the eagle's nest. That was fun.

It was only a little after 10 when our trip was over, so we all went to the
local diner for breakfast and lots of warm coffee. The was a good day!!

Ann Mitchell