Well, the front set up farther north than expected and so did the heavier
precipitation today. So we had a shallow front across central NY today. The
surface front was in far northern PA and the front at 5000 feet (roughly) was
actually across Lake Ontario. So north of this in Canada was the main
precipitation shield and hence no fallout conditions down here. Central NY saw
chilly conditions with northerly winds between the surface and a few thousand
feet with southwest to west winds above this. Overnight many birds were
migrating north so presumably birds that migrate higher than a few thousand
feet up kept going into southern Canada on the southwest winds and stopped
where the rain was. In reality the bird migration likely was sorted out based
on how high each species or even individuals migrate. To get a fallout we need
a solid batch of precipitation which typically has cloud tops around 10 to 20
feet which is a wall for the migrants. Since this precipitation set up farther
north than predicted is why it wasn't that impressive. However, winds between
5000 and 15000 feet were strong from the west-southwest and maybe this could be
why the western meadowlark showed up?  It is also interesting that in western
NY the front was a bit deeper and could explain why Jody saw more migrants.
Anyway, always learning.
Tonight we will see south winds aloft, north winds close to the ground.
Precipitation again will be across northern NY. More arrivals will be the norm.
I think once the cold front comes through Monday with heavier rain we will see
more migrants.
Thanks and good birding to all! Dave
    On Friday, April 13, 2018, 7:33:30 AM EDT, David Nicosia