Last night I saw the two fuzzy young GREAT HORNED OWLS together at their
nest site on the Newman Municipal Golf Course in Ithaca.  One was in the
nest and one a few feet above, with no adult in sight.  But upon arriving
early on Monday morning, I saw the presumed mother owl and one owlet
together in a tree about 35 meters across open space from the nest, where
the smaller-looking owlet remained.

Then, drawn by furious cawing, I wandered over to the Jetty Woods.  Three
crows had found a second adult Great Horned Owl in the dark, dense canopy.
Despite the relentless harassment, he seemed mostly quite unstressed,
coolly eyeing the crows and feinting with his bill only a couple of times
when they drew close.

A few minutes later, a couple of these crows and I simultaneously found a
subadult BALD EAGLE at the south edge of the woods.  This time the crows
were much less aggressive, flying close a few times but not cawing, and
then leaving after about a minute.

A BROWN THRASHER seems to be establishing a territory just south of the
osprey platform at the northwest corner of the golf course.  Last night
this thrasher was moving around a lot, but this morning he tolerated my
very slow, close approach as he sang and sang in a tree above the inlet.  A
GRAY CATBIRD seems also to be setting up here too, making for quite a
motley mimid mashup of song fragments.  Surprisingly, I haven’t found any
Northern Mockingbirds on the golf course for the past few weeks, even
though they usually breed right here too.  I also didn’t find any unusual
warblers today, but I did get uncommonly good views of BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHERS below eye level by the graffiti-decorated building at the base
of the woods.

Before I turned to go, I looked to the owl family again.  This time I saw
all three owls together in the aforementioned tree away from the nest,
widely spaced among the branches.  Two crows came and scolded the owls,
prompting the mother to perch right up next to one owlet.  Then after a few
more seconds, the crows left quietly.  From this and from regular crow-free
viewing of the nest over the past several weeks, I surmise that crows
consider lone owls as a mortal threat, but recognize that an adult tending
young at a nest site is not cause for alarm.

Here is a photo album <https://photos.app.goo.gl/S9Ie6wyoVdaS1SiC2> of
these owls since March 22.  The images are mostly rather poor, taken at a
considerable distance with a point-and-shoot camera often in dim light, and
heavily cropped.  Still, the photos are fun and broadly illustrative of the
development of the owls, over just a few miraculous weeks, from tiny
helpless chicks to hulking young adults **who can fly ** (hooray).

Mark Chao