Sorry -- I meant east of the map stand. In any case, I just walked by the
spot again after leaving and did not find the owl.  Still, this vicinity
might be worth a careful look, especially if you hear agitated nuthatches
and other songbirds.

It was certainly unusual to see an owl so close and out in the open for so
long (10+ minutes). I wonder if maybe there are young nearby, or if a
school group before me called it in...

Mark

MC