Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with us Dave!!Pete Sar

-------- Original message --------From: Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com> Date:
8/18/18  9:55 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: CayugaBirds-L b <cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu>,
andrea_vanbeusic...@fws.gov Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Today’s ‘Shorebird Walk’
and Montezuma NWR
Refuge staff worked to drain Knox-Marsellus marsh of the rain which accumulated
this week, but despite the effort the water today was so high that there was no
mud, and the shallows were mostly among weeds. With considerable effort we were
able to see Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs separately in K-M Marsh, and with
good luck we also saw them flying together, although it appeared that some were
leaving headed south. We also had very close looks at a juvenile plumage
Spotted Sandpiper who stood on the pipe in the NE corner of the K-M Marsh while
we on the adjacent dike. We found no other shorebirds. However I understand
that this coming Saturday, 25 August, Dave Nicosia plans to do another
shorebird walk, and meanwhile efforts to bring water levels down should
continue while more shorebirds migrate into the area. After today’s walk I
checked the Wildlife Drive and found a few shorebirds at Benning Marsh,
including at least one Greater Yellowlegs, several Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Least
Sandpipers, and 4 adult Dowitchers.
Despite the paucity of shorebirds, our group of 16 birders had a pleasant walk
in comfortable temperatures, under clouds and occasional very light rain.
Highlights included:
A trio of Trumpeter Swans who spent the day at K-M, sometimes joined by the
single who has been there previous days. This trio frequently gave double-noted
clarinet-like calls (I think the species was mis-named), which were new to some
birders.

Various eclipse plumage dabblers, including Wood Duck, Mallard, Blue-winged
Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, and American Wigeon.
An Osprey who caught a fish very close to us.
A Peregrine Falcon who repeatedly strafed K-M on 2 occasions rousing many of
the birds.
An adult Bald Eagle who also hunted in K-M, again raising a cloud of birds,
while we were by Puddler.
Northern Harriers hunting over K-M, Puddler, and areas to the NE, including
female, male, and immature plumages.
The continuing immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron who flew past us from
Puddler toward K-M, a life bird for some. I stayed late and refound it in K-M.
Immature and adult Black-crowned Night-Herons were more obvious.
At least 22 Great Egrets.
Winter-plumage Bobolinks calling over head and perched in weeds outside the
dikes.
All the usual Swallows except Cliff, plus Chimney Swift. There were more
mosquitos for them to eat than on past walks.
In all I tallied 51 species of birds.
- - Dave Nutter
        Welcome and Basics
        Rules and Information