On Saturday and Sunday, I’ll lead Cayuga Bird Club field trips in search of
sparrows and other field birds.  We’ll start at 8 AM on both days at the
Cornell Community Gardens along Freese Road, and then head over to the
Bluegrass Lane fields if we have time.  Come prepared to walk through mud
and tall, wet grasses and weeds.

Although the weather forecast appears a little less than ideal, I expect a
lot of fine birding.  Today, Diane Morton, Ken Kemphues, and I found a very
good variety of sparrows at the community gardens, including two LINCOLN’S
SPARROWS, at least five WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS (2+ juvenile, 3+ adult), one
or more WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, a couple of SWAMP SPARROWS, a FIELD
SPARROW, and very many SONG SPARROWS.  Later Bob McGuire and I found
several SAVANNAH SPARROWS here too, plus what I think was probably a third
Lincoln’s Sparrow.

Earlier, Diane, Ken, and I went looking for birds, especially Nelson’s
Sparrow, in the patches of cattails and goldenrod amid the sea of grass
west of Bluegrass Lane just south of Hanshaw Road.  We didn’t find
Nelson’s, but did get a nice long sunlit view of a Lincoln’s Sparrow, plus
another of a beautiful female NORTHERN HARRIER.  We also heard an AMERICAN
PIPIT or two flying overhead.

I hope to see many of you this weekend!

Mark Chao

PS.  Another highlight of the day:  two COMMON RAVENS soaring in circles
together for 5+ minutes, very high above our home on Simsbury Drive in
northeast Ithaca.  This is probably the first time I’ve ever seen multiple
ravens here at home.