Ken certainly found an interesting bird.  I assume he heard no
vocalizations or he would have mentioned it.  Any pictures from the side
showing wing bars?  When I've seen likely easterns and westerns in close
proximity in Central American, it seems that easterns have two fairly
equally weighted wing bars while westerns tend to show one wing bar as
being more prominent.  None of these physical cues (amount of dark/light on
lower mandible, or prominence of wing bars) is as definitive (I think -- ha
ha) as their vocalization, but they can help point in a particular
direction.

Neat bird for sure.
Thanks for reporting it.

Jody Enck