Ospreys are returning much earlier this year! There have been two confirmed
sitings around Myers Park and at the Myers Hill nest in Lansing yesterday
and today. It's an uplifting sign that spring is coming early, but it is
troubling as to the earliness. Up until 2016, the ospreys at Cargill in
Lansing returned annually on March 31st and the Salt Point pair returned
yearly on April 5. Each year since, their arrival dates have moved up. Last
year it was March 25 and April 1, respectively. The pair on the Myers Hill
nest came on April 3 last year. This is 18 days earlier than their arrival
last year! I'm guessing it is a consequence of climate change, but such a
leap very is troubling.

Please email me when you see ospreys active on their nests and please
report any new nests you discover in the Finger Lakes region for the annual
osprey inventory. *Thank you very *much. I can't do the work without your
assistance. The !30+/- known nests visible from public roads are listed in
the Cayuga Lake Osprey Trail
<https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=fb09815967204bfc9386fe2d4d78f1b0>
.

Out of basin on Seneca Lake, there are seven nesting pairs of osprey at the
Greenidge Power Plant in Dresden, which are attracted by the abundant fish
congregating at the plant's warm outflow. If anyone knows the location of
osprey nests near Skaneateles or Owasco Lakes, please contact me ASAP! One
or two ospreys are regularly seen there, but I have yet been able to locate
their nests. Again, many thanks for any help you can provide.

Have a great and very bird spring!
Candace