I try to look at the eBird map of current-year reports for species when
checking first reports for the Cayuga Lake Basin. That map for Upland Sandpiper
is fascinating.There are many reports from the Texas-to-western-Louisiana Gulf
Coast northward through eastern Kansas, and quite a few along the Gulf Coast to
Alabama with scattered reports north of there north to Illinois and Wisconsin.

But Upland Sandpipers are only reported, so far, from ten sites total in the
Eastern Time Zone: There are a couple reports from the Florida Keys, one from
north Florida near Jacksonville, a very popular bird near Athens, Georgia that
lots of folks saw over several days, two sites in Ohio (one with multiple
birds), one bird in Michigan, and 3 single-bird sites scattered across southern
Ontario in Canada.

And there are zero Upland Sandpiper reports from South Carolina through New
York and New England. Perhaps “our” Upland Sandpipers migrate north from Texas
before turning east through Ohio then across the Lake Ontario Plain to arrive
in Seneca Falls. If that’s true, I wonder how many other species arrive from
the west at the north end of the Cayuga Lake Basin.

- - Dave Nutter