Hi Eric,

The Cornell U. Cooperative Extension publication entitled Hayfield Management
and Grassland Bird Conservation by Jim Ochterski (CCE of Schuler County;
ja...@cornell.edu<mailto:ja...@cornell.edu>) says this on page 2:

“To be considered good habitat for grassland birds, a grass hayfield needs to
remain substantially unmown through the breeding season, which begins in early
May and ends by mid-July across most of New York State. During this time
hayfields grow vigorously, providing shelter, nesting areas among the grass
stems, and a source of insects that comprise bird diets. Any significant
disturbance, like mowing or manure application, will cause most nest to fail.
Alfalfa hay stands are generally unsuitable for grassland birds.

In New York, breeding grassland birds will begin identifying territories from
late April through May. Nest building and egg laying occur through early June
and young birds tend to hatch by mid to late June. The ability to fly for cover
and feeding(called ‘fledging’ ) develops by early July.”

The article has a calendar which shows the dates May 14 thru July 22 as times
when MOWING DETRIMENTAL to grassland birds.

Full article here:
http://www.nysenvirothon.org/Referencesandother/Hayfields_Grassland_Birds.pdf

Donna

Donna L. Scott