A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER appeared briefly at our feeders next to our
dining room windows at about 6:45pm; it stayed for about 15 seconds
before flying off eastwards over the next yard, flashing brilliant black
and white. Not long enough to get a photo, but both Gin and I saw it
perched on and eating out of the feeder containing "Ithaca Blend" mix.
No need for binoculars, it was within 10 ft of where I was sitting. (No
it was definitely NOT a Red-Bellied Wdpkr.) This is the first time it
was close enough to see clearly the black line at the base of the red
throat.

I went outside to see if there was any sign of it anywhere but no luck.
I will report it if seen again.

Our ~1.7acre yard is not typical RHwoodpecker habitat. This was a once
in 50+ years sighting! We regularly have all the other local woodpeckers
at our feeders, including Pileated, and YBSapsuckers and Flickers come
around but not to the feeders.

Hope it is seen again somewhere in Ellis Hollow.

Nari Mistry,
Ellis Hollow Rd.