Mushrooms almost immediately attract a range of small insects, some of which
specialize on reproducting in them—tiny beetles, gnats (flies) and I am sure
several other groups.  I wonder if they were not picking these easy insects
off, especially given their juvenile (klutzy predator) status?  The movements
might have attracted them.

Anne