This morning I joined Dave Nicosia for a guided walk onto the dikes around
Knox-Marsellus marsh seeking shorebirds. I don’t want to steal his thunder, so
suffice it to say the trip was successful. I expect he will send out the
impressive list shortly, if he hasn’t already. He will be leading 2 more walks,
also on Sundays, at 2-week intervals. I would like to announce that on the
alternate weekends there will be similar walks on Saturdays:

This coming Saturday, 17 August, Bob McGuire and I will lead another shorebird
walk. We will again meet at 7am at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center, which is
on NYS-5/US-50 between NYS-89 and NYS-90 east of Seneca Falls. From there we
will drive to the overlook on East Road and spend the rest of the morning
walking a couple unprotected shadeless miles to see what birds we can find,
concentrating on the several species of shorebirds which have been pausing at
the refuge during their southbound migration from their far northern breeding
grounds. This walk into a normally closed area of the refuge is free and open
to the public. Dress for the weather and bring binoculars, a field guide,
drinking water, and a snack. If you have a spotting scope, please bring it, and
if you are willing to share scope views and expertise, as Bob and I will be
doing, that will be welcome. This can be a chance to see and learn about some
distant and subtle birds.

There will also be a similar trip on Saturday, 31 August, led by Josh Snodgrass
and myself.

- - Dave Nutter