-------- Original message --------From: David Nicosia <daven102...@gmail.com>
Date: 8/25/19  9:36 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: NY Birds <nysbird...@cornell.edu>,
Cayuga birds <CAYUGABIRDS-L@cornell.edu>, BroomeBirds
<broomebi...@googlegroups.com> Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Shorebird Walk Today
August 25th, 2019 Montezuma NWR All, We had another very successful shorebird
walk today Sunday August 25th along the dike between Knox-Marsellus Marsh and
Puddler’s marsh. Between 715 am and 200 pm, we had a total of 70 people from
different bird clubs around the area. I began with the group mostly  from the
Cayuga Bird Club. The Rochester Birding Association and Rochester Young
Birder’s club met up with us around 9-10 am. I birded with these groups until
around 2 pm as the Cayuga Group left around noon.  This was the highest
attendance I have ever experienced with these shorebird walks. I would like to
thank all those who brought their expertise and assisted.  We were lucky to
have some "world class" birding talent with us from the Lab of O as Dave Nutter
mentioned in his email.  We also had many scopes which helped get people on
birds. The success was because of the cooperative effort of all. Thank you!Now
onto the birds…Rarities included continuing AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN in the
morning which took off before 10 am. LAUGHING GULL dropped back in with the
gulls in KM marsh during the early afternoon. As for shorebirds there were more
than I saw Friday. The habitat is getting better with more mudflats than
Friday. Thanks to Linda Ziemba who has worked to prepare the habitat for
shorebirds. Its working!Ann Mitchell got on a BAIRD’S SANDPIPER, Dr. Shawn
Billerman got on a molting AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, and Dave Nutter found the
first of several STILT SANDPIPERS. There were many SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, a
few possible LONG-BILLED candidates that no one could confirm. There were many
yellowlegs of both species with the GREATER outnumbering the LESSER. LEAST and
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS were all over. We also had several PECTORAL SANDPIPERS.
Pat Martin and I got on a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER that flew fairly close to the
dike near some dowitchers. The white rump in flight was a give away. The bird
was slate gray, longer than nearby SESAs, and primary projection past tail.
This bird didn’t last long as it disappeared among a bunch peeps that flew by.
The BAIRD’S was re-found by Jay McGowan later in the morning. Unfortunately we
didn’t refind the White-rumped. There were also 2 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS at the
beginning of the canal and 1 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER in transitional plumage. Jay
found a WILSON’S SNIPE in flight and we had both KILLDEER and SEMIPALMATED
PLOVERS. This makes 15 species of shorebirds! Later with the Rochester Birding
Group many of the shorebirds came closer to the dike including the AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER. This bird was joined by another golden-plover. We had great
views of these birds and other of the above species. Unfortunately the BAIRD’S
SANDPIPER was not re-found this time.Jay McGowan put together a comprehensive
list that totaled 91 species which can be found
here…https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59248832I did my own list because I
stayed later with the Rochester group until about 2 pm. I totaled 75 species
but had 4 additional species that were not seen on Jay’s list. That makes at
least 95 species!My list is here…
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59252385the birds I had in addition to the 91
species were the LAUGHING GULL(landed on mudflat early afternoon), HAIRY
WOODPECKER , BLUE JAY and NORTHERN FLICKER  (woods by beginning of trail on way
out early afternoon).  These birds were heard only.I was wondering if we could
ever get to 100 species collectively and in the coming weeks with passerine
migration picking up, shorebirds still coming through and of course waterfowl
and waders I bet it will happen. There is tremendous diversity in this marsh
and these walks are so great in getting people to learn about and appreciate
our birds. Thanks again to Andrea and Linda from Montezuma!Best,Dave Nicosia

        Welcome and Basics
        Rules and Information
        Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
        Archives: