Thanks, Dave Nicosia, for doing a great job leading the walks, keeping eBird
lists, and writing summaries! I have a few things to add.

First, it made a big difference that the dike had been widely mowed for the
Muckrace, so it was easy to view the impoundment. Not only could we watch from
more places, but several people could stand next to each other without anyone’s
view being blocked, and short people could just plain see, all of which had
been difficult when the vegetation was tall everywhere along the dike.
Thank-you, Refuge staff.

Second, it was Ken & Adriaan who found the small passerine flock in the SE
corner of the woods, including Magnolia Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, a
Red-eyed Vireo which surprisingly made a couple of wide sweeping sallies out
from the woods, Swamp Sparrow, Song Sparrow (all of which I saw), and Least
Flycatcher (which I missed).

Dave Nicosia listed a flyover Wilson’s Snipe, but from farther along the dike I
managed to follow such a bird in my scope until it alit on the open mud, barely
visible to me as I looked over an island of cattails. With several other folks,
I walked on the dike past the cattails and proudly aimed my scope at the Snipe
who was walking toward a sleeping Greater Yellowlegs and a preening Pectoral
Sandpiper on either side of an inconsequential bit of weed stubble. The first
person looking through my scope had a great view, but the second person
couldn’t find the Snipe. I looked again, and neither could I. Then someone
looking through another scope saw the Snipe’s head move in the weed stubble,
and people again took turns watching. When I got my scope back, I watched the
Snipe for awhile, too. Eventually I realized that I really could see most of
the Snipe, but it matched the weed stubble in height, color, and pattern. This
was a life bird for one of the people with me.

Early in the walk I had fallen behind Dave Nicosia, and I saw 3 American
Golden-Plovers flying back and forth over the marsh. They started low, but
gradually gained altitude and eventually appeared to fly off toward the
Wildlife Drive. At least 2 of them were adults in transition to winter plumage
but still with considerable blotches of black below. Much later I found a
single such bird walking on the mud, so I told people about it, and when I
looked again, there were 3 plovers. Maybe they were the same birds that I saw
depart a couple hours earlier, having determined that Knox-Marsellus had the
best shorebird habitat around.

Again people were interested in the subtleties of Stilt Sandpiper ID, so we
worked on that while watching their distinctive vertical ramming feeding
behavior among the more randomly pecking Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs.

And I talked about Pectoral Sandpipers, whose color & pattern are similar to
Least, but whose shape differs, the larger species having a proportionately
smaller head with an actual neck showing at times (Least & Semipalmated
Sandpipers look neck-less to me).

And I talked about how to use color and shape and proportions in shorebird ID
generally.

On our way out onto the dikes we saw several Long-billed Dowitchers, whose
immaculate juvenile plumage had a cold grayish-tan hue overall and whose
tertials were plain gray with narrow pale edges. When I was leaving, walking
slow and falling behind everyone else, I discovered a juvenile Short-billed
Dowitcher which must have just arrived. It had a warm overall orange glow in
the sunlight from the edging on all the back & wing feathers, including the
tertials, which had additional orange bars. I wished there were still people
with me to show it to.

Among other marsh birds:
The American White Pelican allowed wonderful scope views, including a close
take-off and flyover as it went to visit Puddler temporarily.
There were several Trumpeter Swans, who seemed to be having a discussion among
themselves, murmuring clarinet notes.
We watched a Merlin hunting low over the marsh whose presence was not
appreciated by a Northern Harrier.
After I heard about Dave Nicosia’s thermal full of migrants, the folks with me
scanned and found what may have been the same thermal at a later stage.
Although we did not see the butterfly, the swallows, or the Broad-winged Hawk,
there were at least 7 Bald Eagles in it by the time we looked.

I’m glad to hear that there will be a planning meeting in June regarding
shorebirding from the Knox-Marsellus dikes, because the migration really starts
in early July. Thanks again, Linda Ziemba & Andrea VanBeusichem, and the rest
of refuge staff for maintaining the habitat for the birds and allowing access
to birders!

- - Dave Nutter